JO CRAWFORD DipCABT KCAI
Dog Behaviour Counselling
Dog Behaviour Counselling
BEHAVIOUR CHANGE COUNSELLING
'IN PERSON", LIVE & VIDEO ONLINE OPTIONS FOR BOTH 1:1 TRAINING AND BEHAVIOUR CONSULTATIONS AVAILABLE - Please contact me to discuss your needs.
1:1 DOG AND PUPPY BEHAVIOUR AND TRAINING 'IN PERSON'
Following the latest Government advice (11.05.20), in addition to what has been a very positive response to ‘virtual’ training and behaviour sessions, I am proposing to resume 1:1 Training and Behaviour Consultations, in person, for those that would like to and who’s specific requirements warrant. Online /Virtual training for both 1:1 or Classes is still fully available and will be the preferred option until lockdown restrictions are further lifted.
Safety is paramount and, having carried out an overall Risk Assessment, the basis on which any ‘In Person’ sessions would be carried out are as follows:
• Each case will be discussed, risk assessed and considered on its’ individual merits.
• Sessions will take place in the garden of the Owner (therefore flexibility regarding weather conditions will need consideration).
• Strict social distancing and protective hygiene will be observed at all times by all parties.
• Safety, control and handling of the dog or puppy will be the sole responsibility of the Owner/Handler.
• If either party suspect that exposure to the Corona Virus (either directly, or indirectly) may have occurred, it is vital that the appointment be cancelled/postponed until safe, and any risk of transmission has passed.
Julie, Ditchling says:
"Jo now offers online consultations and today we had a really useful session via ‘zoom’ - where we talked through the behavioural issue my little terrier is experiencing, the potential triggers and circumstances that may be influencing it - and identified a really practical action plan for me to put in place to help tackle it. Given that the plan has to be implemented by me, it was really easy to give Jo the information she needed to develop the actions I now need to take to help bring about change. Really easy and very useful remote way of working!"
Whether you have acquired a dog with established unwanted behaviour problems, or an issue has developed with your dog over time, there is no time like the present to address and deal with it!
Living with a dog displaying behavioural issues can put a real strain on your relationship and can prevent you from really enjoying your hound. It also means that you dog will likely be unhappy too!
In order to most effectively deal with changing your dog's behaviour, it is essential to establish what is causing the problem, why the behaviour is occurring, what is the benefit for the dog in performing this activity and, most importantly, what is reinforcing the behaviour, thereby encouraging him to do it again? Only then can an effective Behaviour Change Programme (BCP) be initiated to address the issue.
*Aggression, Dog - Dog /Dog - Person
*Object, Food and Location Guarding
*Separation Related Issues
*Abnormal Repetitive Behaviours
BEHAVIOUR AND HEALTH
If your dog's behaviour has deteriorated suddenly, he is behaving "out of character", or you suspect that there may be a physical/medical reason for his behaviour, it is vitally important to have your dog checked over by your veterinary surgeon. It is not possible to treat a behavioural issue with a psychological approach if the reason for the behaviour is due to a medical/physical problem.
IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT ABOUT THE PHYSICAL HEALTH OF YOUR PET, PLEASE ARRANGE A CONSULTATION WITH YOUR VETERINARY SURGEON AS YOUR FIRST STEP.
Consist of both theoretical and practical application of a tailor-made Behaviour Change Programme (BCP) over a number of sessions of one to one and a half hours each.
An initial consultation of approximately 90 minutes - 2 hours is required to assess and evaluate the behaviour problem in question in order that an appropriate Behaviour Change Programme (BCP) can be formulated. Based on this assessment the next steps can be discussed, planned and implemented within a suitable, tailor made programme of assisted practical sessions.
- Initial Consultation and Assessment Fee - £185 *
- Follow Up Practical Sessions - £65/hr *
- Written REPORT and Recommendations (optional) - £65
Behaviour Change Programme (BCP) total costs will vary depending on the behaviour to be addressed and complexity of the BCP required. This will be discussed and agreed with you at your initial consultation once an assessment has been made.
OWNERS PLEASE NOTE!
Many serious behavioural issues are very deeply established. Consequently, owners must be aware that there is no "Quick Fix". Implementation of a Behaviour Change Programme will require dedication and determination on your part in order to help and work through the issue with your pet, possibly over several months. When you see your hard work paying off and the behaviour, and consequently, your relationship with your dog, improves significantly, it will all be worth it!
* Please note mileage fee of 60p/mile applies to all programmes outside of TN22 postcode (central Uckfield)
* Unfortunately, I am unable to offer credit facilities, therefore settlement by cash or bank transfer at the time of consultation is required, thanks!
* Minimum of 24 hours notice of cancellation must be given otherwise a fee of £50 will be charged.